The Movies That We Love And Breathe

Friday, February 03, 2006

The ending will take you by surprise

Title: The Life of David Gale (2003)
Director: Alan Parker
Writing Credits: Charles Randolph

Usually im not a guy who tries to outthink the screenplay and guess the plot. I prefer to let the movie play itself. But im quite sure even if I tried to guess the plot it would have been fruitless for this movie.

When this movie was suggested by my friend one fine saturday afternoon I was groggy and bleary eyed (too much drinking on friday nite, as usual) when it started playing out. But at the end of it, I was sitting up and most definitely wide awake. I had absolutely no idea what the movie was about but it had a very strong cast including Kevin Spacey, Laura Linney and Kate Winslet. The movies starts off with Kate Winslet, a reporter for a magazine being asked to cover the story of a death row criminal, Kevin Spacey for the rape and murder of Laura Linney. Both Spacey and Linney, professors at the local college are ardent death penalty activists. Why would Spacey rape and murder Linney, nobody knows and hes willing to talk only to Winslet about his story. The story unravels as Kevin Spacey reveals parts of his story and leaves Kate Winslet to figure out the remaining and solve the mystery.

The movie is to be strictly viewed objectively, as your stance on death penalty maybe conservative or liberal as is the case. Conservatives are likely to find this movie distasteful in all aspects. True movie viewers would love this movie for its treatment and the strong portrayal of all the characters in the movie. And the ending is the bonus. Personally this movie had one of the best endings I had seen in a long time. Period.

9 Comments:

  • I remember the very first time I saw Usual Suspects, it was after 12std and I was totally taken in. I had seen scary movie 1 and didnt know then that it was lifted off Usual suspects. When the movie finished....I was like whoaa....no way, unbelievable. Try to see this movie and im 100% sure that you will go through the same emotions although on a much higher scale. I guarentee.

    Well, every critic is entitled to his opinion. Crash was on the list of worst 10 movies made in the year 2005. It can be that absurd.

    By Blogger sensiblystoned, at 5:08 PM  

  • SS,
    U r back!!! U might be wondering why the hell did u come back when u have soo many gr8 stuff back home....i am going thru that now!!!!!!

    By Blogger Shoe, at 8:54 AM  

  • GI, unfortunately my thinking isnt black and white at the moment. But yes, theres lot to look forward to when I go home.

    By Blogger sensiblystoned, at 11:36 AM  

  • I watched this on HBO a year back. I'm always trying to guess the plot and ruin the movie for myself and label it predictable if the ending turns out to be something I had visualized. But in this one, the ending totally caught me off-guard.

    In addition to The Usual Suspects, I'd also recommend K-Pax to Spacey fans.

    By Blogger Vincent, at 5:13 AM  

  • Vincent: Yeah, im planning to watch Kpax pretty soon.

    Intern: hasnt been long since ive been back. Less than a month.

    By Blogger sensiblystoned, at 4:36 PM  

  • Guys watch Sunset Boulevard, Bridges of Madison Country, Reservoir dogs, Kill Bill, Eternal Sun shine of the spotless mind, House of flying daggers.. see what makes these movies stand apart from the rest and in what way...

    ..Do write a commentary on PULP FICTION, Graduate (by Dustin Hoffman), Rain Man ..THESE ARE NOT JUS MOVIES..

    By Blogger Φ, at 8:45 AM  

  • psi/epsilon (watever you go by): one of the first movie to be reviewed was eternal sunshine of the spotless mind. i havent seen graduate or sunset boulevard but the others i have seen. i liked house of flying daggers but i wouldnt say i loved it. i would love to write a commentary on reservoir dogs, rain man and pulp fiction; someday soon :D

    By Blogger sensiblystoned, at 9:08 AM  

  • I go by neither what u call by, its Phi. Gud you wud write bout em soon will look fwd 2 it :)

    By Blogger Φ, at 2:18 PM  

  • Oooohhhh I loved this movie and watched it like a 100 times.....Kate Winslet and Kevin Spacy were gr8!!!!!

    By Blogger Shoe, at 4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home